What is a ‘Resource Period’?
An ‘resource period’ is a flexible period of time some schools have incorporated into their schedule to provide extra help or enrichment opportunities for their students. But is there more you can do with a resource period? How can you manage this time?
Manage & Organize Your Resource Periods
Make your activity periods meaningful, organized learning experiences for students.
- Schedule and assign students to specific activities in just a few clicks!
- Keep track of where students are going, and take attendance
- Override or lock appointments with students if needed
- Schedule a group of students to one resource period
- Schedule student for one day, or a repeating range of dates
- Use reporting and analysis tools to see how and staff students are using their resource period
Give Students Personalized Learning Choices
Give students voice and choice in your school by allowing them to make personalized learning choices during their resource period. Here are some ways you can do that:
- Create custom course offerings for students
- Use your activity period for a Genius Hour and/or STEM program
- Give students time to pursue project-based learning
- Enable students to schedule themselves to see teachers of their choice
- Provide students with the social-emotional help they need
How can you successfully implement an resource period? Another term commonly used for this time is a ‘flex block.’ Watch our video ‘How Can You Create a Flex Block?‘ to see how schools have made minor adjustments to their schedule to make this work. In addition ‘Why Create a Flex Block?‘ gives examples of success from real schools that have a daily flex block, or resource period.